If you are interested in overcoming such a pitfall, here is a simple mental exercise you can do alone:
- Find a place free from distractions, sounds, and interruptions.
- Close your eyes and think back on an act you committed in the past for which you continue to feel guilty. This may take sometime so be patient. The more you plumb the depths of your psyche to identify the true episodes which fester within your subconscious, the better chance you have of exorcising your demons and cleansing yourself of the stifling fustian which clogs your wiring and separates you from your goals.
- Once you have identified the perceived offense and acknowledged the guilt which you have been suppressing, open your eyes.
- Would you like to lessen those feelings?
- Of course you would, you miserable selfish bastard! It's always about you, isn't it? Your feelings, your guilt. How's about apologizing or making amends, ANYTHING constructive instead of licking your own pathetic wounds? You truly disgust me.
Check back for my next post: Self-Flagellation - Religion or Recreation?